The SAJ, a Reconstructionist and Conservative synagogue on the Upper West Side, is seeking a "Shabbat leader" to lead family services and to teach in our Hebrew School. Our family services are warm, inviting, and very musical. We use a mix of traditional prayer, storytelling, and interactive educational activities to create a service that is welcoming to all. At the Hebrew School we use an experiential learning approach to introduce children of all ages to the joys of Jewish life. We are looking for an educator who will bring educational engagement and a high level of ruach-oriented fun to our Hebrew school.
The Shabbat leader will:
The schedule for the various services should allow for each service to occur on a different week of the month in order to accommodate all family groups.
- Lead two Friday night family services a month, one geared towards younger children (ages 4-8) and their parents, and one geared towards tweens and their parents.
- Lead one monthly Saturday morning service geared towards younger children.
- Teach music in the Hebrew School twice a week, ideally on Sunday and Tuesday. There will be a particular focus on teaching songs from the family Shabbat services, to create a bridge between the Hebrew School and the family services.
- Help plan and attend two havdalah events during the winter.
- Work closely with and be supervised by the education director, meeting with the education director on a weekly basis.
- Attend bimonthly meetings of a lay "Shabbat committee."
The ideal candidate for this position will have at least four years experience in song-leading, have the ability to song-lead while playing either guitar or keyboard, and will also have experience creating and leading family education programs. He or she will be upbeat and outgoing, and will enjoy and relate well to children.
Compensation ranges from $15,000 up, commensurate with experience.
Please email resumes to email@example.com or fax (212) 724-0293.
A collaborative resource for thoughtful (and possibly frustrated) folks interested in trying to do things just a little better.
Friday, May 25, 2007
Job Posting: "Shabbat Leader," Society for the Advancement of Judaism
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment