Monday, December 17, 2007

The soundtrack for every bar mitzvah for the rest of your life

Jewschool reports that Ha'aretz reports that The Sun reports:

"British singer Lauren Rose has released a modern version of traditional Jewish song Hava Nagila, and gambling pundits have even given odds on the song to take the top spot in the U.K. Christmas pop charts.

"According the British newspaper The Sun, bookmaker William Hill has given 17-year-old Lauren Rose a 16-1 shot at having Britain’s best-selling song on December 25."

I couldn't find the original article on the website for The Sun, and am not convinced that Ha'aretz didn't pick up the story straight out of a Lauren Rose press release. In any case, you can follow the developments on Lauren Rose's myspace page or official website.




Oh, and why did she write this song? Here's a quote:

"I found out that the lyrics for the song were written 100 years ago so thought I would record an up to date version with English words as a Hanukkah present for my Grandfather."
Ah, he must be schepping some serious nachas.

1 comment:

Assistant Principal-Macomb said...

As an American living in Britain I'm uncomfortably happy to let you know that this new version of Hava Nagillah is, in fact, a total hit over here. All of the RSY-ers (youth group members and workers) are absolutely obsessed with it.

I overheard one of them telling another how all along she thought the words meant "drink and be merry" but now, having heard the new version, she knows she was wrong...

I'm just doing my best to get this Lauren Rose to teach in my Religious School when she's 18 (instead of taking a "gap year").